Sr. Field Service Technician- South Bend, IN
Indiana, United States
Our client, a leading producer of strapping and packaging systems is seeking a skilled Field Service Technician to install, repair and provide service on packaging machinery at customer locations in Northern Indiana and Southcentral Michigan. The Field service base will be in the South Bend, Indiana area and will include travel to accounts in Northern Indiana and Southcentral Michigan. Service responsibilities occasionally include other locations where help is needed for specific equipment installations, services and repairs. Your duties will include managing your own field service schedule along with assisting other technicians with equipment installs and service issues.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Resolve customer complaints and cooperate with in plant personnel
- Examine equipment and determine needed services, or repairs.
- Provide customer training on proper use of equipment.
- Accurately evaluate problems both mechanical and electrical and implement the needed repairs.
- Manage schedules and assignments for work activities, based on customer needs, work priority and available resources.
- Examine equipment, analyze inspection reports and confer with customers to locate and diagnose malfunctions.
- Maintain, repair, and overhaul machinery as needed
- Dismantle defective machines for repair at the customer location, using hand tools.
- Work closely with Engineering to report specific machine issues and add any changes that Engineering requests.
- Implement testing using test meters and hand tools to diagnose failures of industrial equipment components
- Requisition and manage materials and supplies, such as tools and replacement parts
- Inspect, test, and measure completed work, using devices such as hand tools or gauges to verify conformance to standards or repair requirements for functionality and safety
- Identify and present opportunities for additional support of company products and services to the customer
- Compute estimates and actual costs of factors such as materials, labor, or outside contractors
- Overnight travel and long commutes 50%
Why should you join our team?
- Skill development opportunity, maintain and sell the top packaging equipment in the industry!
- Flexibility! Manage your own schedule, customer base and parts inventory!
- Support! The following resources will be provided to you to ensure you have everything you need to provide quality work and service.
- Continuous on the job training and mentorship
- Company car, mileage and car insurance
- Corporate expense account
- Company laptop and cell phone
- All required Personal Safety Equipment
- All supporting inventory for equipment maintenance
- A strong working knowledge in the mechanical and electrical fields
- Some knowledge of PLC programming, hydraulic and pneumatic technology
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to effectively use and read measuring instruments, such as multi-meter, amp meter, micrometers and calipers
- Ability to establish effective rapport with all levels of employees and customers
- Ability to take initiative and organize your own work independently
- The drive to build your own territory for profitability
- Competent customer services skills, with the ability to analyze the root cause and find permanent solutions to issues
- Ability to engage in extensive customer interaction
- Willing and able to travel, overnight travel (approx. 50%)
- Solid computer skills (MS Office Applications and Windows-based programs)
- Steel mill and Metals industry experience is not required but desired
Experience and education
- Minimum 3 years of field or industrial maintenance experience
- High school diploma
- A valid driver's license and your own general hand tools
- Mechanical background preferred
- Machinist background a plus, but not required
- Some PLC and Electrical experience