The Human Resources Manager sets the tone for Sonesta’s Culture of Caring. We expect leaders to focus on creating amazing moments for guests and team members and dig deep to find ways to create success for their team.
This role’s primary responsibility is to drive results through their entire department. Under the direction of the Human Resources Director, the Human Resources Manager will be responsible for assisting with the oversight of recruitment, total compensation, training and development, employee relations, labor relations, leave management, reward and recognition, health and safety and performance management.
The ideal candidate has a passion for building and motivating teams that achieve results. Sonesta managers are guest-focused (both internal and external), achievement-oriented
Job DescriptionExpected Hours of Work
- Must be flexible to work variable days of the week to include weekends and holidays.
- Must be flexible to work variable shifts (days, nights, overnights).
Education and Experience
- 3+ years of experience working in Human Resources.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven record of developing people and organizational HR policies.
- Knowledge about rights and obligations of workers and employers.
- Knowledge of identifying, assessing, encouraging and ensuring coworkers’ performance against organizational and individual goals.
- Applying tactical and operational thinking to create a people oriented working environment.
- Spanish speaking preferred.
- Hotel experience is preferred but not required
- Understanding of and previous experience in a union environment a plus.
Principle duties and responsibilities (Essential Functions) include:
Strategy and Planning
- Identify, recruit, and make recommendations for hiring all non-exempt candidates. Assist Human Resources Director in the hiring process for all exempt positions. Screen, interview, coordinate background checks/references, and process applicable paperwork for all candidates.
- Work with department heads to anticipate and plan for upcoming staffing needs and related budgets.
- Document outreach efforts and effectively recruit to attract a diverse candidate pool to ensure implementation and monitoring of Affirmative Action goals.
- Plan, direct, and coordinate HRIS activities of the hotel to maximize the use of human resources. Maintain the HRIS data integrity and work with department managers and HR team to enter and process data via both electronic and paper processes.
- Ensure employee files contain required employment paperwork, proper performance management documentation, and files are properly maintained and secured for the required length of time.
- Represent Human Resources at the property Safety Committee; help to identify ways to create awareness of the importance of safety in the workplace and decrease accident frequency and severity.
- Assist in the management of associate leave claims (FMLA, Personal, Worker’s Compensation, etc.) to ensure appropriate employee care, manage costs and track time off.
- Provide required documentation in response to unemployment claims. Participate in unemployment hearings as needed. Ensure that paperwork is complete, and that documentation is thorough, so the company’s position can be legally and effectively represented.
- Support and administer effective employee relations programs. Assist in the research and investigation of non-exempt workplace issues to discover facts, identify potential liability to the Company, document and facilitate resolution. Support and promote the Employee Resolution process. Identify themes and solutions to re-occurring issues.
- Assist in planning of employee events, update bulletin boards and monitors and assist in creating annual employee engagement activities calendar.
- Oversee onboarding of non-exempt employees and the HR orientation program for employees to receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job. Ensure coordination and facilitation of new hire orientation program and attendance by all new hires with the participation of the leadership team in training programs.
- Ensure that company hiring standards, laws and applicable regulations are followed in the application, hiring and selection process.
- Ensure compliance with procedures for accessing, reviewing, and auditing employee files.
- Communicate property rules and regulations via the employee handbook and code of conduct.
- Ensure all safety and security policies are communicated to employees on a regular basis.
- Assist with ensuring all annual compliance trainings have been completed, as well as any start or local required trainings.
- Work with Corporate Training Partner to schedule and execute required annual training.
Managing your Team
- Help control labor costs and expenses.
- Support the Payroll staff in the completion of timely and accurate processing of bi-weekly payroll for all hotel employees.
- Help manage staffing levels to ensure that operational needs and financial objectives are met.
Leading with Passion
- Facilitate effective training and development programs for employees which may include programs such as new brand initiatives, guest service training, the progressive discipline process, performance management process, and related management programs and initiatives.
- Responsible for monitoring, measuring, and recognizing performance of team members who directly report to the role and indirect roles.
- Support, comply and promote company initiative, policies and guidelines.
- Handle employee issues in a professional and timely manner.
- Responsible for ensuring success through the eyes of employees, guests, and owners.
- Utilize and collaborate with resources across different departments and corporate office.
- Capable of influencing employees to perform to their highest standard and establishing a trusting environment to enrich the culture.
- Focus on the mission and well-being of the department, hotel, and company as a whole.
- Lead by example and operate with integrity and respect.
Qualifications and Skills
A candidate for this position must possess the following applicable knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to demonstrate and provide applicable examples to support his/her competency.
- Experience of progressive general HR experience including talent management/succession planning, employee relations, compensation, benefits, and training.
- Experience implementing change in a union/non-union environment.
- Excellent leadership with a track record of developing and maintaining high employee engagement.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Aptitude for balancing multiple priorities with strong organization and prioritization capability.
- Exceptional ability to build consensus across entire property.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Additional Job Description
Sonesta recognizes that benefits play a vital role in helping ensure the health and financial security of employees and their families. We offer a variety of benefits to our employees including:
Upon submitting your application, please ensure you complete a full application in addition to attaching a resume. Incomplete applications received will not be considered.
- Compensation range: $70,000 - $80,000
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account with Company Match
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match
- Paid Vacation and Sick Days
- Sonesta Hotel Discounts
- Educational Assistance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Company Paid Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Various Employee Perks and Discounts