Welcome to Sonesta. These three simple words could open up a whole new world to you. Each of the hotels and resorts in the Sonesta Collection provides a unique experience unrivaled in the hotel industry. Sprung from the classic hoteliers of the mid-20th century, Sonesta enjoys a rich history celebrating over 75 years in hospitality. We offer a diverse and distinctive portfolio of nearly 60 properties across three continents, each providing an authentic visit delightfully reflecting the culture and personality of its destination.
Reporting to the Director, National Engineering & Facility Operations, the Regional Director of Engineering will provide oversight, direction, leadership, and mentoring to Maintenance Managers and General Managers at Sonesta ES Suites brand hotels. With oversight of multiple hotels, a travel to office ratio of 25% / 75% is expected. The Regional Director, Engineering will also be a conduit between Sonesta Operations Management, Ownership Asset Managers, and other internal Sonesta business units as relevant to various engineering projects and programs. Teamwork, collaboration and proactive communication across both Operations and Engineering management are critical to this position’s success.
The ideal candidate has a passion for responding and solving problems, provides strong customer service, and constantly seeks to improve upon current situations through clear communication, accountability, and coaching. A strong background in facilities systems and preventative maintenance programs across typical building disciplines (i.e. HVAC, roofs, electrical, plumbing, etc.), as well as building management systems, is expected.
A candidate for this position must possess the following applicable knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to demonstrate and provide applicable examples to support his/her competency.
- Track record of delivering exceptional support to colleagues, clients, customers and/or guests
- Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments, and enforce hotel’s standard policies, procedures, and programs
- Ability to respond quickly and develop solutions for common inquiries, complaints, and urgent issues, and deal with a wide variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to clearly present action plans and updates to senior management and ownership representatives on key projects and urgent matters
- Experience in working with and managing third party vendors, establishing partnerships as needed, and setting clear expectations and accountability
- Working knowledge of life/safety systems, plumbing codes, electrical codes, national/local fire codes, local mechanical codes, water treatment program, blue prints/schematics.
- Demonstrable expertise in analysis and action taking
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Excellent organization skills
- Appropriate professional appearance and demeanor
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Familiarity and experience using hotel & building systems (i.e. HotSOS, INNCOM, Saflok, HVAC BMS, etc.)
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- High school diploma or equivalent vocational training, minimum of 7 years direct experience in the maintenance of mechanical, life/safety, electrical and plumbing operations of hotels or commercial buildings, 5 years supervisory experience.