The Director, Energy & Sustainability will engage with Corporate and Hotel teams to enhance and advance existing energy conservation and sustainability initiatives. Manage and execute a forward-thinking deregulated energy procurement strategy across Sonesta’s managed portfolio. Identify, implement, and manage the execution of energy conservation projects. Track and evaluate all energy conservation and sustainability initiatives and related metrics, and champion the rollout, implementation and performance of all energy programs across organization. Manage the oversight of utility account set-ups, bill payment, and overall utility budgets. Work with Corporate Engineering and Hotel Engineering teams to support and achieve goals and targets.
The ideal candidate has deep knowledge and experience of energy conservation programs, energy commodities markets and strategies, building management & control systems, and a passion for sustainability. A positive, creative, and innovative approach to problem solving, process improvement, and a desire for implementing programs is at the forefront of this position. Teamwork, collaboration and proactive communication across both Operations and Engineering management are critical to this position’s success.
Principle duties and responsibilities (Essential Functions) include:
- Lead demand-side and supply-side energy and utility management programs, including data capture, benchmarking, utility bill payments, utility savings programs, energy/environmental recognition and certification programs, program reporting and deregulated supply contracts.
- Provide technical analysis and review of energy conservation and sustainability projects and programs, identify risks and opportunities, make recommendations for continuous improvement and communicate findings with program stakeholders.
- Manage Sonesta’s deregulated energy procurement strategy and execute supply deals accordingly, to align with company objectives. Plan and revise Sonesta’s execution strategy as market changes dictate.
- Proactively analyze Sonesta’s energy usage, costs and variances.
- Manage transition process of utility accounts for new incoming hotels and divested hotels.
- Lead and manage third party vendors and national account partners, as required, setting clear expectations, accountability, data analysis and reporting
- Periodically visit and audit properties as part of continuous improvement initiatives.
- Contribute to and participate in company-wide training and engagement activities.
- Manage other departmental tasks and initiatives, as assigned.
- Strategy and Planning:
- Subject matter expert for Sonesta’s cross-functional stakeholders for all aspects of energy and sustainability matters, including emissions, energy, water, waste, and workforce engagement programs.
- Develops strategy for value-add energy conservation and sustainability programs across portfolio, with the ability to develop and present the business case for new programs.
- Drive forward-thinking operational improvements and property/portfolio level through the identification and implementation of energy and sustainability initiatives via hands-on coaching and teamwork.
- Update and implement systems, procedures and work practices to ensure “audit-ready” state of compliance with company and regulatory agency policies including federal, state and local regulations.
- Provides leadership, process, technology platforms and strategies to assist properties to minimize consumption/expenses and increase profitability
- Create and distribute sustainability engagement content at a regular cadence that promotes workforce engagement across energy conservation and sustainability initiatives.
- Financial Management:
- Oversee the utility budgeting process annually and create and manage utility reporting for management-level presentation.
- Streamline existing reporting capabilities, including processes and technologies, and investigate new technologies to support process improvement.
- Analyze accounting records and data for operating costs and variance reports.
- Identify reasons for unexpected increases and work with local teams to resolve, as needed
- Identify opportunities to improve overall bottom line of utility expenditures
- Managing your Team
- Coach corporate and hotel teams on programs and guide them through the implementation and continuous improvement phases.
- Champion ongoing continuous improvement of all energy programs across organization
- Ensure team members receive proper training applicable to their position
- Support, comply and promote company initiative, policies and guidelines.
- Leading with Passion
- Responsible for ensuring success through the eyes of employees, guests, and owners
- Utilize and collaborate with resources across different departments and corporate office
- Capable of influencing employees to perform to their highest standard and establishing a trusting environment to enrich the culture
- Focus on the mission and well-being of the department, hotel, and company as a whole
- Lead by example and operate with integrity and respect
Additional Job Description
Qualifications and Skills
A candidate for this position must possess the following applicable knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to demonstrate and provide applicable examples to support his/her competency.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred. Ideal degrees are Energy, Environmental, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, or related field.
- Minimum 7+ years of direct experience in managing corporate energy and sustainability programs including emissions/energy/water/waste tracking and reduction, ideally in a hospitality building setting.
- Proven track record of implementing and monitoring energy conservation & sustainability programs across a national portfolio, and of delivering exceptional support to colleagues, clients, customers and/or guests
- Deep knowledge of utility deregulation strategies and rate structures, market trends, cost, availability, and distribution of utilities.
- Strong working knowledge of building systems, e.g., lighting, HVAC, controls, etc. and energy analyses for building systems.
- Demonstrated ability to present complex data to facilitate analysis and decision-making.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to effectively communicate to varied audiences, e.g., executive directors, mid-level managers, engineers, operators.
- Ability to clearly present program plans and updates to senior management and ownership representatives on key programs and initiatives.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, team-centered and results and deadline-driven environment.
- Positive, creative, innovative approach to problem solving and the ability to exercise judgment and discretion.
- Periodic travel required of approximately 10%
- Self-motivated and quick, adaptive learner in a changing environment.
- High Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint is required.
- Appropriate professional appearance and demeanor
Sonesta recognizes that benefits play a vital role in helping ensure the health and financial security of employees and their families. We offer a variety of benefits to our employees including:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account with Company Match
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match
- Paid Vacation and Sick Days
- Sonesta Hotel Discounts
- Educational Assistance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Company Paid Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Various Employee Perks and Discounts
Upon submitting your application, please ensure you complete a full application in addition to attaching a resume. Incomplete applications received will not be considered.