Job Description Summary
Provides human resources leadership, strategic support, consultation, coaching, direction and advice to Hotel Executive Committee and all Hotel employees on all human resources related topics as well as Sonesta and Hotel culture and values. Works with senior management to develop employment process to support business goals and objectives. Directs, oversees and/or coordinates all human resources activities such as employment, compensation, employee relations, benefit, training, and performance management. This role may be responsible for 1 – 3 Full Service hotels.
The focus of this job is connecting with Hotel leadership and employees, and motivating and inspiring them to achieve results. The work involves driving toward results by enrolling the commitment and buy-in of others. While the job requires strong initiative and self-direction, results are only achieved with and through people, so the ability to successfully influence and persuade others by understanding how their individual needs and motivations link to goals is essential.
The role has a variety of tasks and is dynamic and changing. Since goals and desired results can quickly change, the job requires regularly meeting with and pro-actively establishing relationships with new groups and people. The ability to understand, quickly react, and motivate others to adapt to the changing organization is a critical key to success. In general, the core of this position requires a motivated and motivating team builder and organization developer.
Decisions will many times have to be made in ambiguous situations under pressure and will generally need the ideas and advice of others. Details will need to be handled quickly and accurately. Good judgment is essential in the recruitment process as well as the employee relations process.
The job environment is fast paced and results oriented. While there is urgency for goal achievement, responsibility for the achievement of results needs to be shared and effectively delegated when necessary. At times you will be faced with competing priorities and will need to adjust priorities to ensure you are working on the most critical needs at that time. Your General Manager and Corporate HR leader will be available to assist you in re-prioritizing when this becomes difficult. There is a corporate support team focused on training, employee relations and benefits to provide assistance and guidance as needed. Initiating projects and processes beyond established practices will often require training and developing others and enlisting their support by using a “selling” rather “telling” communication style.
Principle duties and responsibilities (Essential Functions) include:
Strategy and Planning:
- Effective recruiting and hiring for all roles within the hotel utilizing progressive and innovative recruiting techniques while being mindful of time, cost and quality.
- Lead the hotel in Employee Engagement strategies and activities to ensure the hotel is continually assessing and improving its management and leadership practices to ensure a highly engaged workforce.
- Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues. Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations. Makes recommendations to Corporate Human Resources regarding follow-up actions.
- Analyzes wage and salary reports and data to determine a competitive compensation plan and individual compensation recommendations.
- Oversee the maintenance and communication of employment records as required by law or policy. Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements. Consult with Corporate Human Resources, and when appropriate with legal counsel, to ensure consistent application of law and corporate policy. You will work with the HR Shared Service team to ensure that together, files are accurate and compliant.
- Ensure that all managers and supervisors are trained on the progressive discipline process, performance management process, Union Awareness, and related management programs and initiatives. Coach Managers to create and maintain a work environment with high morale and productivity. Conduct new employee orientation to familiarize employees with Company values, standards, policies, procedures, rules and other employee programs.
- Work with HR Shared Services on administrative duties to include worker’s compensation, unemployment claims, maintenance of employee records and HRIS system, etc.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include all hotel staff, Corporate Human Resources and Corporate legal.
- Coordinate and administer locally developed special recognition programs.
- In a Union environment, manage labor relations and represent the hotel in grievances, mediations, arbitrations and contract negotiation. Ensure all departments are knowledgeable of and in compliance with the terms of all collective bargaining agreements (CBA).
- Plan and coordinate HR programs within the hotels you are responsible for.
- Guide management and employee actions by researching, developing and updating policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines in connection with Corporate Human Resources; and communicating and enforcing organization values and policies to ensure effective management within the Hotel.
- Participate in the development, rollout, communication of the Hotel’s plans and programs as a strategic partner by providing guidance to management on all aspect of employment including talent acquisition, staffing, employment processing, compensation, health and welfare benefits, training and development, records management, safety and health, succession planning, employee relations and retention, AA/EEO compliance, and labor relations.
- Develop human resources annual budget and other financial measures of the Human Resources Department.
- Ensure that the Hotel is appropriately manage expenses and reducing risk as it relates to employees.
Leading with Passion
- This is the top Human Resources job in a large full-service hotel with extensive facilities, employees and services.
- Perform other duties as assigned and may serve as “manager on duty”” as required.
- Responsible for ensuring success through the eyes of employees, guests, and owners.
- Utilize and collaborate with resources across different departments and corporate office.
- Capable of influencing employees to perform to their highest standard and establishing a trusting environment to enrich the culture.
- Focus on the mission and well-being of the department, hotel, and company as a whole.
- Lead by example and operate with integrity and respect.
- Inspire your team to embrace and demonstrate our mission, values and GUEST People Standards
Interact with outside contacts
- Interact with outside contacts:
Candidates and applicants – discuss employment opportunities and conduct interviews
- Guests- to ensure total satisfaction
- HR Shared Service team to support your hotel
- Vendors- to ensure adequate inventory of supplies and equipment, to discuss pricing or service issues, to resolve any vendor performance issues, etc.
- Regulatory Agencies- regarding safety and compliance matters
- Union representatives (if applicable)
- Other contacts as needed (professional organizations, community groups, local media)
Qualifications and Skills
A candidate for this position must possess the following applicable knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to demonstrate and provide applicable examples to support his/her competency.
- Track record of delivering exceptional employee experience.
- Excellent judgment with strong problem-solving capabilities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, i.e., poised and engaging, empathetic communication styles that can enliven, engage, and positively impact individuals and groups.
- Ability to partner with all levels of managers, providing a consultative approach and employee relations.
- Ability to act quickly and efficiently with high degree of professionalism.
- Customer service orientation.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Demonstrable expertise in analysis and action taking.
- Excellent organization and prioritizing skills.
- Appropriate professional appearance and demeanor.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and HRIS systems.
- Bachelor's degree preferred. A minimum of three to five years’ experience in a high-volume hospitality environment. Leadership level experience, preferred.
- Background in hospitality industry (and union experience) is highly desirable.
Additional Job Description
Sonesta recognizes that benefits play a vital role in helping ensure the health and financial security of employees and their families. We offer a variety of benefits to our employees including:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account with Company Match
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match
- Paid Vacation and Sick Days
- Sonesta Hotel Discounts
- Educational Assistance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Company Paid Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Various Employee Perks and Discounts
Upon submitting your application, please ensure you complete a full application in addition to attaching a resume. Incomplete applications received will not be considered.