Are you a skilled Technician skilled in installing and troubleshooting electro-mechanical equipment looking for a new challenge?
Are you the entrepreneurial type who likes to travel and manage your own workload?
- Signode, a leading producer of strapping and stretch packaging systems is seeking a skilled Field Service Technician! The Signode Service Business is part of the Signode family with over 100 years of history in the packaging industry.
General description of the position:
The Field Service technician will be responsible for installations, repairs, and providing technical support to both customers and other service technicians on our stretch wrapping, stretch hooding, strap and packing equipment at various customers’ facilities within the United States.
- This position will support industries such as food, corrugated, bottle, cotton and comes with plenty of flexibility which means employees are in charge of planning, directing, and coordinating service to the customers within their assigned region!
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Install and commission complex packaging equipment on new and existing production lines
- Program interlocks between our equipment and existing customer conveyor systems
- Provide 2nd level technical support to other service technicians as well as customers
- Examine equipment and determine needed installations, services, or repairs
- Determine schedules, sequences, and assignments for work activities, based on customer needs, work priority and available resources
- Examine and listen to equipment, analyze inspection reports and confer with customers to locate and diagnose malfunctions.
- Maintain, repair, and overhaul machinery as needed
- Dismantle defective machines for repair, using hand tools
- Reassemble machines and equipment following repair, testing operation and making adjustments as necessary.
- Test and replace industrial equipment components using test meters and hand tools
- Requisition and manage materials and supplies, such as tools and replacement parts
- Inspect, test, and measure completed work, using devices such as hand tools or gauges to verify conformance to standards or repair requirements for functionality and safety
- Train customer on proper use of equipment
- Identify and present opportunities for additional support of company products and services to the customer
- Compute estimates and actual costs of factors such as materials, labor, or outside contractors
- Long commutes and overnight travel is required and can at times be substantial (70%)
- Resolve customer complaints
- Good knowledge of Allen Bradley CompactLogix PLC programming is a must. Siemens PLC knowledge is also preferred.
- Must be able to use RS Logix 5000 software to analyze, compare, and modify PLC ladder logic.
- Be able to use software applications to install, commission, and modify HMI’s, VFD’s, Remote I/O devices, and communication devices such as VPN routers.
- Install both hard wired and Ethernet interlocks.
- Ability to use remote service applications to assist technicians and customers.
- Ability to read electrical schematics and terminate wires in control panel
- Have a good understanding of hydraulic and pneumatic technology
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to effectively use and read measuring instruments, such as multi-meter, amp meter, micrometers and calipers
- Ability to establish effective rapport with all levels of employees and customers
- Ability to take initiative and organize their own work independently
- Strong customer services skills, with the ability to analyze the root cause and find permanent solutions to issues
- Solid computer skills (MS Office Applications and Windows-based programs)
Experience and educational requirements:
- Experience with stretch packaging and stretch hooding equipment a plus
- Experience with PLC’s, HMI,s and VFD’s
- Exceptional customer service and communication skills
- Minimum field or industrial maintenance experience OR technical training on machinery
- A working knowledge in the mechanical and electrical fields
- Mechanical background preferred
- Machinist background a plus, but not required
- Experience and/or training in industrial safety preferred but not required
- A valid driver’s license