Welcome to Sonesta. These three simple words could open up a whole new world to you. Each of the hotels and resorts in the Sonesta Collection provides a unique experience unrivaled in the hotel industry. Sprung from the classic hoteliers of the mid-20th century, Sonesta enjoys a rich history celebrating over 75 years in hospitality. We offer a diverse and distinctive portfolio of nearly 60 properties across three continents, each providing an authentic visit delightfully reflecting the culture and personality of its destination.
The Risk Manager will be expected to balance legal and business imperatives in the course of overseeing and supporting a broad range of matters for a rapidly growing global hospitality organization. Primary activities will include resolving and monitoring hotel-level claims; formulating, implementing, and monitoring risk mitigation policies and best practices; and overseeing or assisting with other enterprise-wide risk minimization initiatives, such as contract management. The role involves collaboration with many of the company’s internal and external stakeholders, including operations, accounting, and legal teams. The Risk Manager must embrace Sonesta’s principle of providing “Service with Passion” in support of our owners, our guests, and our employees.
Principle duties and responsibilities include assisting with:
- Monitoring outstanding General Liability (GL), Auto, and Property insurance matters, and recommending and negotiating resolutions where appropriate.
- Coordinating with and providing training for hotel staff to ensure proper investigation and reporting of incidents, as well as resolution with guests and others.
- Preparing and issuing reports to management, and leading weekly meetings with corporate team to review hotel incidents.
- Identifying trends in reported incidents and collaborating with stakeholders to drive enterprise-wide solutions.
- Serving as primary liaison with insurance adjusters, legal teams, and hotel staff in cases of escalated guest claims.
- Recommending and pursuing the development and implementation of appropriate risk management programs and operating procedures.
- Advising, supporting, and collaborating on initiatives to improve efficiency and risk posture, such as contract management, document storage, and licensing.
- Other activities that may be necessary or helpful in mitigating risk to the company or as assigned by the General Counsel.
Qualifications and Skills:
A candidate for this Risk Manager position must possess the following relevant knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to demonstrate and provide applicable examples to support his/her competency and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.).
- Minimum of three to six years’ experience, in-house with an insurer, adjuster, or other company with a risk management team, or comparable in-house or government organization or law firm.
- Associate in Claims (AIC) certification or other insurance industry designation, or paralegal/legal assistant experience in a law department or firm setting, preferred.
- Strong organization and follow-through skills, keen attention to detail, sound judgment and common sense.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong people skills to manage potentially confrontational claim situations.
- Ability to work in a team and independently to produce high quality work product.
- A drive for success and the ability to thrive in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.