Our client, a leading producer of strapping, stretch wrapping and packaging systems, is seeking a skilled Field Service Technician to install, repair and provide service to packaging machinery in cotton gins, corrugated plants, steel mills, paper mills, lumber mills, brick plants and general industry. The primary customer base will be in the Cedar Rapids, IA and surrounding areas but will include travel to other locations in Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota and Missouri, if needed to help cover service demands. Your duties will include managing your own field service schedule along with assisting other technicians with equipment installs and issues.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Examine equipment and determine needed services, or repairs.
- Provide customer training on proper use of equipment.
- Resolve customer complaints and cooperate with in plant personnel
- Accurately evaluate problems both mechanical and electrical and implement the needed repairs.
- Manage schedules and assignments for work activities, based on customer needs, work priority and available resources.
- Examine equipment, analyze inspection reports and confer with customers to locate and diagnose malfunctions.
- Maintain, repair, and overhaul machinery as needed
- Connect to and change PLC code provided by engineering for Allen Bradley Control Logics, SLC’s and Siemens.
- Dismantle defective machines for repair at the customer location, using hand tools.
- Work closely with Signode Engineering to report specific machine issues and add any changes that Engineering requests.
- Implement testing using test meters and hand tools to diagnose failures of industrial equipment components
- Requisition and manage materials and supplies, such as tools, replacement parts and maintain and control inventory
- Inspect, test, and measure completed work, using devices such as hand tools or gauges to verify conformance to standards or repair requirements for functionality and safety
- Identify and present opportunities for additional support of company products and services to the customer
- Compute estimates and actual costs of factors such as materials, labor, or outside contractors
- Commute to customer site in company vehicle and at times over long distances with overnight stays.
Why should you join our team?
- Skill development opportunities to service, maintain, and sell the top packaging equipment in the industry!
- Flexibility! Manage your own schedule, customer base and parts inventory!
- Support! The following resources will be provided to you to ensure you have everything you need to provide quality work and service.
- Continuous on the job training and mentorship
- Company vehicle and vehicle insurance
- Corporate expense account
- Company laptop and cell phone
- All required Personal Safety Equipment
- All supporting inventory for equipment maintenance
- A strong working knowledge in the mechanical and electrical field
- Knowledge of PLC programming, hydraulic and pneumatic technology
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to effectively use and read measuring instruments, such as multi-meter, amp meter, micrometers and calipers
- Ability to establish effective rapport with all levels of employees and customers
- Ability to take initiative and organize your own work independently
- The drive to build your own territory for profitability
- Competent customer services skills, with the ability to analyze the root cause and find permanent solutions to issues
- Ability to engage in extensive customer interaction
- Willing and able to travel, overnight travel (approx. 40-50%)
- Willing and able to work overtime, nights or weekends, as needed based on seasonal demands
- Solid computer skills (MS Office Applications and Windows-based programs)
- Organizational skills to manage your own parts inventory, expense account and travel arrangements
- Corrugated, Paper, Lumber, Brick or other large industry experience is not required but desired
Experience and education
- Minimum 3 years of field or industrial maintenance experience
- High school diploma
- A valid driver's license and your own general hand tools
- Mechanical background
- Machinist background a plus, but not required
- Some PLC and Electrical experience preferred but willing to train the right individual
- Associates Degree a plus but not required
Our client offers competitive wages and benefits packages including health, dental, life, disability insurance, and 401(k) savings plan with company match.